Jul 21, 2011

Raising the Roof

Hi from Lydon.... I don’t blog often so just bear with me and my assistant blogger, Danielle Crane.
Today we accomplished a lot at the work site. We finished the entire roof (and this task was not as easy as it sounds). We had to build it, lift it, sheet it, tar it, shingle it, nail it and most importantly admire it....that pretty much sums up the entire work day.
Manuel came to lunch with us at the local Pemex. Now I haven ’t read the other blogs yet so I don’t know if he has been mentioned yet. He’s a Mexican boy with amazing building habits and was helping out with the building, so we thought he deserved some lunch.  A couple years back, he got his own house built.....we’re brothers me and him.
Today Christine got covered in dirt, playing with Anna one of the children we built for last year (this year we’re building for her grandparents) and I Danielle, spent time with the sixteen year old daughter, Laura, painting together and watching a Mexican soap opera.
By the time we finished the roof, it was about 5:30, and then we went to visit the family that we built for a couple years back.
By the time we got home (or what feels like home now) it was about 7:00ish and we were given the choice between a shower or delicious meal consisting of... Well I’m not sure exactly. Some sort of taco I think...they called it Tostata. Personally I (Lyndon)  picked to food option... and so did Danielle. It was good and all but now that I’m blogging this I’m stating to think i chose poorly...but don’t worry Danielle had a shower!
Sincerely, your good friend, and mentor:  Lyndon  J skeet... and mostly Danielle Crane J

Dave Meyers here...

Man I haven't even had time to think today.  It was the busiest day yet for sure.  And I even ended up playing soccer with two neighborhood girls.  They finally started to warm up to me.

Today was "raise the roof day" where we basically did the facia, drip cap and shingles.  Things are just done so differently here and think we would have been done much quicker at home.  We had to use so many more nails here than we would have needed to in Canada.

The other thing today... I cannot stress how much I can't wait for the dedication day.  I can't wait to see the look on the mom, Rayna's face.  I spend a lot of time watching her as we build and you can see the excitement in her face building as well.   I was working on the bano yesterday and designed a simple lock for the door that can be used from the inside and she gave me the thumbs up, but then later went and used the old bano.  It's almost as though she's scared to use or claim the new one just yet.

And I should probably also mention that I received 3 paintings with my name on them from 3 cute little girls today.  Two of them gave them to me themselves, but the 3rd one gave it to Bethany to give to me.  I naturally will bring them home with me as they were pretty special.

Dave Meyers


No comments:

Post a Comment